Slow Cooker Caribbean Pot Roast
A comfort food staple, with a few unique ingredients, makes for a warm dish with outstanding flavors.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3/4 teaspoon baking cocoa
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- Add potatoes, carrots, and celery to a 5-quart slow cooker. Heat canola oil in a skillet. Add meat and brown on each side. Place meat in the slow cooker.
- Using the same skillet, cook onions in leftover meat juices until tender. Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute. In a separate bowl, mix flour, both sugars, seasonings, orange zest, and baking cocoa. Mix in tomato sauce. Add the onion mixture and heat throughout. Pour over meat.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, until meat and vegetables are tender.